Nutrition, Bitch: Bites – 10 Tips to Avoid the “Stuffing”
I KNOW...we've built a holiday around overindulgence. You want me to leave you the f*ck alone and not talk about nutrition on this, the sacred day of overeating. Just hear me out. TRUST ME..if I didn't hear post-holiday regret from uhhh 100% of people I've ever met, I could have left well enough alone, BUT HERE WE ARE. So STFU.
Here are 10 simple tips on how to avoid the "stuffing". You may even walk away from this Thanksgiving dinner with your pants still buttoned.
1. Skip the Thanksgiving Eve bender. Rolling a night of drinking into a day of overeating is asking for trouble.
2. Eat a solid breakfast on Thanksgiving morning. You’re less likely to overeat if you’ve been fueling yourself properly all day.
3. If possible, get a workout out in. Go for a run, do some yoga, get in a 20 minute WOD, knock out a few rounds of body-weight exercises in between turkey basting.
4. Drink ALL the water. D'uh.
5. Main event: Shocker - Eat the foods that you LOVE! Everything in moderation. Whether we like it or not, foods have emotional ties. They feed our bodies and the soul. Some foods may round out your experience. If your Thanksgiving just won’t feel the same without a helping of macaroni and cheese or pumpkin pie…go for it!
6. Eat mindfully. Honor the food, take small bites, savor every one.
7. Eat to 80% full. Don't gorge on the first go 'round. That's some amateur shit right there. Have some self-respect.
8. Leave room for coffee or dessert. Enjoy this time with your family.
9. Leftovers - Avoid taking home anything you feel tests your self-control.
10. If all else fails and you didn’t listen to sh*t I just said…start fresh the next morning. Don’t sit around wallowing in self-loathing and loading up on whipped cream with a side of pumpkin pie. Get over it and get moving. Sure, you might have the gravy sweats for a day or two…but this too shall pass.